Candle Care Guide
We've lovingly hand poured all of our candles to give you hours of scent filled pleasure. We collated a selection of top tips to follow when using candles to ensure you get the optimum burning experience.
Getting Started - Your First Burn...
The first time you light your candle is the most important. Implementing correct candle care will ensure you get the most out of your candle and increase your candle lifetime.
- Before lighting your candle, make sure your wick is trimmed to the optimum length. Long, or crooked wicks can create high flames which can cause sooting, smoke and uneven burning. Trim to prevent this.
- Make sure to leave your candle to burn for approximately 2 hours (depending on size) to ensure the wax burns to the edge of the vessel. If you blow our your candle too soon, the wax pool stays narrow and this causes 'tunneling'.
- Don't leave your candle to burn for over 4 hours as this can cause excessive heat to build up inside the vessel which can cause cracks and damage to your candle. This could potentially cause safety issues.
- Leave your candle to fully set before next use.
Looking After Your Candle.
It is important to keep caring for your candles to help them to burn their best. Here are our top tips to follow each time you light your favourite Zesty Lemons candle.
- Trim your wick before use. For both cotton wicks and wooden wicks, you should trim the excess wick that has been previously burnt.
- Burn large wax pools to avoid 'tunneling'. This leaves a build up of wax around the edges of the vessel and can cause the wax to cover the wick and self extinguish.
- When your candle is at the end of its lifetime, make sure you do not burn beyond the remaining 10mm of wax.
How To Care For Your Wicks.
At Zesty Lemons we design our candles with style in mind, this includes selecting the best wick for each vessel. We use cotton wicks and wooden wicks across our collections.
We get a lot of questions on the differences between a standard cotton wick and a wooden wick so we have created this guide to follow when using our wooden wick designs:
- Trim between each use. Remove the charred wick, this makes sure the wick you are lighting has soaked up the burning solution and is adequately flammable.
- Keep the wax pool clear of wax trimmings.
- Light your candle in a well ventilated room, away from draughts or fans which can cause sooting and uneven burning.
Browse our selection of wicks below...
Still have more questions?
Get in touch and a member of our friendly customer support team will get back to you.